That's it, the official launch of the new Tesla took place Thursday, March 31 at 7 p.m. (Friday, April 1, 5:30 a.m. French time) and we were there (not really, rather in front of the live broadcast, but it's just like).
After increasing the pressure for several months, in particular with tweets, Tesla has finally unveiled the rest of its “secret plan” (dixi Elon Musk).
For bilinguals, the 22-minute keynote is at the bottom of this page. Otherwise here is the main information to remember.
The keynote begins with a brief reminder, for those who have forgotten, “why Tesla? ". Elon Musk's answer is simple: save the planet (just that). His ultimate goal is to move the world towards clean transport, and he's right, we really need it (graphics).
It is therefore with this in mind that Tesla has put in place a “secret plan” that Elon Musk presents to us, a “trilogy in 4 acts”.
The goal: to show the world that we can make a beautiful and efficient electric car. Despite everything, the Roadster remains a very expensive car and not very suitable for everyday life (only 2 places…). Here comes step 2.
The goal: to show the world that we can compete with combustion sedans (and SUVs) with 100% electric. Bet won.
It is thanks to these three models that Tesla was able to develop the technology and the production capacities necessary for the Model 3.
The goal: to make an electric vehicle accessible to everyone, offering a real alternative to internal combustion engines (autonomy, etc.).
Here are after 20 minutes of suspense (or only 1 minute for those who read this blog) the different characteristics of the new Tesla.
• safety: 5 stars in ALL categories
• power: the base Model 3 will reach 100 km/h in less than 6 seconds (“there will of course be versions that will go faster”)
• autonomy: at least 345 kilometers (“at least”, Tesla hopes to exceed them, in particular thanks to the technological evolution between today and the release date)
• technology: Autopilot as standard, access to the network of super chargers (which will increase from 3,600 locations worldwide to 7,200 at the end of 2017)
• design: 5 real seats, panoramic roof, two boxes
• production: Tesla plans to produce up to 500,000 vehicles a year in its Freemont plant and as many batteries in its new Gigafactory.
The Gigafactory alone will produce as much battery power as the rest of the world.
For comparison, it is the largest building in the world in terms of surface area, and the second largest in terms of volume, just behind the Boeing factory.
• delivery: end of 2017, starting with the USA from west to east, then Europe.
• price: from €36,000
Tesla recorded over the first weekend no less than 276,000 reservations (i.e. 276 million dollars…).
Our opinion: Like everyone else, the first comparison we make is “Porsche”.
The grille and the lights are very reminiscent of German sports cars. Apart from this remark, the Model 3 is outwardly very successful, although not very surprising. It remains to be seen what this will give in series production. The interior for example is not definitive, even if the great ideas are there (the non-integrated screen was also present on the first versions of the Model X, and finally found its place in the dashboard on the final version ).
What is certain is that the reservations exceed Tesla's expectations, it remains to be seen how the manufacturer will manage to meet the deadlines.
If you wish to obtain a quote or a reservation concerning one of our offers, contact us:
• by email firstname.lastname@example.org
• via our quotation – reservation page
• by phone on 01 81 82 00 47
• through your customer area
Discover the latest reviews from our customers on their Tesla experience with one of our private drivers:
• on our Black Birds Facebook page
• by searching for Black Birds Paris on Google.